Wednesday 8 July 2009

Questions

Charles Llewellyn has sent me a couple of questions that I can't immediately answer, so I'll put them up here in case any of you can manage it.

  1. The motto of the school was in Greek. How is it pronounced and what does it mean?
  2. What is an old boy of Stouts Hill called? “Old Kingfisher” would appear to relate to those who were members of the Old Kingfisher Society. However, after such a passage of time, are we all Old Kingfishers? Or Old Stouts Hillers/Hillites/Hillonians/Hillsides? Or doesn't it matter at all?

I think I saw a translation of the motto somewhere in recent years, but can't remember now what the translation was or where I saw it. And yes, I did study Ancient Greek at Stouts Hill, but that was 42 years ago. A little research suggests that the motto (τοις μελλουσι) may have been pronounced tois melloisi (roughly).

No comments: